Translate

Monday, 4 March 2013

I tested my polish on a taxi driver who was listening to the Nutcracker and then changed to another classical radio station unexpectedly. I asked in Polish if he did not like Tchaikovsky, he answered something and changed to a pop music station... Oh well!  I did not have to speak much polish at the convent he drove me to and where Camelite monks live, without speaking to anyone for their entire life:

A member of a nearly extinct fraternity of monks founded in Italy in 1018, by St. Romuald, a Benedictine monk. They were hermits at first, but afterward they associated in convents. They were originally distinguished for their extreme asceticism, their rules in regard to fasting, silence, and penances being most severe. They wear white robes. Also called Camaldulian, Camaldolensian, Camaldolese, and Camaldule.

Only men can visit their baroque temple outside Krakow at precise times. Women are allowed on the most important roman catholic celebrations only. I saw one monk (who openend the door) and only a tourist who did not stop talking to me once he found out I spoke Italian... this although guest are asked to be quite :-)



Word of the day: milczec - to keep silent

No comments:

Post a Comment